Somos Amigos (We're Friends) was created by Ann Benson in 1997 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in her parent/child music studio to address the needs of non-Spanish speaking families to learn Spanish. Ms. Benson used music and movement as the basis for the classes and the result was stunning. Within the first two years Somos Amigos was translated into German and French and children and parents playfully absorbed the languages and the culture of the languages as well. The word quickly spread and Somos Amigos was being featured on the Channel 10 News out of Miami and featured in Language Magazine (an international magazine about learning language). Somos Amigos grew from the confines of Ms. Benson's music studio into private preschools, public schools and University Family Programs at Nova Southeastern University.
Ms. Benson moved to Austin in 2010 and has been leading Somos Amigos classes in preschools, the Westlake Child Development Center, the Westlake library as well as in private homes through her "Spanish Home Academy of Austin." Somos Amigos is popular all over Austin and was seen last year on KVUE evening news. Terri Gruca, the evening news anchor, enjoyed Somos Amigos classes so much with her child that she did a news story about dual language programs in Austin! The story can be viewed on the KVUE website.
NEW LOCATION! Tango Tribe Dance School 5446 Hwy 290 Service Rd., Suite #105 (a few blocks from the YMCA) in the heart of Oakhill. Click the Register link in the schedule below to reserve your space now!
Fall 2018 Schedule and Tuition:
- 10 week session
- Starts Friday, January 5
- Ends Friday, March 9
- $255 for the first child, $160 for the second child and $50 for the third child or more
- Infants 9 months and younger attend free with a registered sibling
- New families pay a $10 registration fee
Tuition and Materials Include:
- Weekly, music and movement based, thematically organized, FUN, Spanish classes for both YOU and your child
- Music CD with 34 tracks for home reinforcement
- Bilingual songbook with coloring pages
- One or two simple crafts
- Weekly support emails including fun activity suggestions for bringing Spanish into the daily routine of your child which provides needed reinforcement
- Two make-up classes are availble per family each session. Somos Amigos families may attend Music Together® classes for their make-ups. Music Together is a music program for parent and child (mostly in English) in the Circle C neighborhood a 10 minute drive from the Tango Tribe. Schedule a make-up.
"Somos Amigos classes with our son was the best decision that we made as parents." ~ Terri Gruca, news anchor for KVUE
"My 2 year old daughter Isabela didn't speak Spanish even though I spoke it with her at home. Now, after Somos Amigos, she's happy to use it. Music is the key! Miss Ana makes it fun and easy, I recommend it to everyone." Mercedes C. Anderson Owner/Designer/Mercedes Flowers and former Univision reporter
Please contact Ann Benson at (512) 803 - 0871 if you have any questions.